Monday, June 10, 2013

Good bye to my uncle

My uncle (mother's sister's husband) passed away and I am very sad about it. Although he and I were not close, he meant a lot to me, more than I believe my family ever knew.

I used to spend a week in the summers as a kid at my aunt and uncle’s house, hanging out with my cousin Wayne. I got to observe my uncle on an everyday basis. He was always calm, always honest, firm when he needed to be, and loving.

What my young mind found fascinating, however, was that he wore a necktie to work. My immediate family was very blue collar in nature. People who wore ties to work were people on television as far as I was concerned. And yet here was someone in my family that had a job that wasn’t entirely physical labor. I didn’t have to exhaust myself every day as my father did just to provide for myself and my family. My uncle was proof.

My uncle was always understanding of me in a time where I felt nobody else understood me. He always seemed to know what to say to me to get me to calm down or to get me to stop pitying myself and think.

And he always seemed to be concerned with my salvation. My uncle loved God deeply and it showed in everything he did. My favorite memory of him was singing a hymn at vacation bible school one summer as he was gathering my cousin and myself to go back to his home. He sang well and with a faith that was palpable. I would like to think he would be proud of this journey I am on. Now I'll never know

My uncle became a symbol to me, of who and what I could be. If there is anyone aside my own father I have patterned myself and my life after, it’s him. The sad and stupid part about this is that even though I have told many people about what he meant to me, I never told him.

I wear a necktie to work every day (except casual Friday) even though my employer does not require it because it reminds me of him. And I am sure he would not want me to be sad right now, even though I am. He faced the death of my cousin optimistically, knowing that my cousin was going to be with the Lord. And I am sure that’s where he is headed too.

Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment